Sponsored message
Logged in as
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.

News

Overall Crime Has Gone Up In L.A. For The Second Year In A Row

crimescene.jpg
(Photo by Carl Ballou via Shutterstock)

One year ago, Congress defunded public media. Now that we're 100% community funded, please become a sustaining member or increase your existing membership today.


According to the LAPD, crime has increased in L.A. once again, making this the second year in a row we've received this disappointing news. Last year, we were told that crime in Los Angeles had increased by 12 percent. This was the first time crime had actually increased in L.A. in 12 years, as crime had been declining since 2003.

As of July 16 of this year, violent crime had increased by 15.9 percent, property crime by 3.8 percent and overall crime by 6.3 percent in comparison to the same time period in 2015, the L.A. Times reports.

When it comes to violent crimes, aggravated assault is up 19.2 percent and robberies are up 16.8 percent. Rape has decreased by 8.7 percent, and the number of murders was the same at 158. Areas with the biggest surges in violent crime included South L.A., 77th Street, Newton, Hollywood and the Hollenbeck divisions, as well as the West Valley, Foothill and Mission divisions in the San Fernando Valley.

Many of the violent crimes are robberies in which the robber is not armed, or what Beck called "lower-level aggravated assaults."

Last year, Mayor Eric Garcetti said that the surge could stem from an increase in both domestic violence and homelessness. To that end, Garcetti said there would be dedicated domestic violence response teams in all 21 police divisions, plus an extra 200 officers appointed to a back-up unit station located outside of LAPD Metropolitan Division. Other steps would include more training, including education on de-escalation and how to properly approach individuals suffering from mental illness.

Some suggested possible reasons for the surge this year include gang violence, increased homelessness and Prop. 47, which knocked select crimes down to misdemeanors. Prop. 47 passed in 2014. However, it's difficult to nail down a particular reason and the Times points out that criminologists advise against pointing to any one single factor.

The mayor and Chief Beck talked about this report at a conference morning. The pair stood against a screen that spelled out the hashtags for the new anti-violence campaign launched by Beck and rapper The Game yesterday via a 49-second PSA.

Sponsored message

One year ago, Congress voted to defund public media, eliminating a critical $1.7 million from our budget every year going forward. But they couldn’t silence us, and we’re not going anywhere. LAist is now 100% community funded and that means we’re taking our future into our own hands and turning to you to keep local reporting strong.

You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our nonprofit newsroom doesn’t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead, we answer to you and our communities. We are free to follow facts wherever they lead and to hold power to account without fear or favor. Our only loyalty is to our readers and listeners and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen Southern California’s communities.

If this story helped you, please become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today