'Grandparents Can Hug Their Grandchildren': LA County Endorses New CDC Guidelines For Vaccinated Residents
The CDC released new guidelines for fully-vaccinated people yesterday, giving them permission to gather indoors with other fully vaccinated individuals -- with no masks or distancing.
Vaccinated individuals can also visit one household that isn't fully vaccinated (if the people in that household are not at risk for severe cases of COVID-19).
L.A. County Health Director Barbara Ferrer endorsed the guidelines and explained to us what they mean:
"Grandparents are now allowed to visit households with their grandchildren, they can hug their grandchildren, they can have a meal with their grandchildren."
"If you're gonna visit a relative in your family who's 70-years-old and she has diabetes and hasn't yet gotten her vaccine, you'd need to keep your face coverings on, as would she during that visit, and you should ideally do that visit outdoors."
Ferrer says she's currently working with the state to figure out what exactly will be required for someone to prove their eligibility.
She says the simplest way to get the vaccine under this eligibility criteria will be if your healthcare provider is administering vaccines. You won't need to bring anything because your provider will already have your medical history.
Or you could go to your pharmacy, if they're administering the vaccine, Ferrer said:
"Your pharmacy may have enough information on you to verify you're a person with serious illness and you might not need a lot of verification there, but I think in most sites people will need some form of verification that they're in fact eligible."
READ MORE ABOUT VACCINATIONS:
- Answers To Your COVID-19 Vaccine Questions — Safety, Eligibility, Access, And Much More
- How To Schedule Your COVID-19 Vaccine Appointment In Southern California
- How To Get The Second Dose Of Vaccine — And Everything You Need To Know About It
- Food And Agriculture Workers Can Now Get Vaccinated In LA County
- FDA Authorizes Johnson & Johnson's One-Shot COVID-19 Vaccine
- Vaccine Line-Cutters Are Stealing Spots Meant For Residents Of Black And Latino Neighborhoods