This story is free to read because readers choose to support LAist. If you find value in independent local reporting, make a donation to power our newsroom today.
This archival content was originally written for and published on KPCC.org. Keep in mind that links and images may no longer work — and references may be outdated.
2nd storm sweeps through region, causing power outages
Update 4:02 p.m. Mudslide shuts down roads in Duarte
Recent burn areas have been getting pummeled by the storm. One of them is Duarte, where a wave of mud has shut down several roads, according to Karen Herrera, deputy city manager.
"This one is the worst so far that we've experienced." she told KPCC. "We had another incident I believe, back in December when we had a rather large amount of mudflow there on Mel Canyon, but we didn't lose any k-rails at that time. This is the first time we've lost a k-rail."
https://twitter.com/NWSLosAngeles/status/822552294340304898
K-rails are concrete barriers that keep mud from entering homes. So far, there's been no property damage reported in Duarte, but Herrera said Valley View Elementary School had to close early because of mud on the roads nearby.
– KPCC Staff
Update 3:06 p.m. 5 rescued from Sepulveda Basin homeless encampments
Five people were rescued from homeless encampments in the Sepulveda Basin due to flooding, according to the Los Angeles Fire Department. The Sepulveda Basin was closed due to the flooding.
An LAFD Swift Water Rescue Team used a boat to reach one of the victims after spotting them from the air. The LAFD said in an alert that it was not aware of anyone else remaining in the basin.
One of those rescued was transported to a medical facility, but it was for reasons unrelated to the flooding, according to the LAFD.
— Mike Roe/KPCC
Update 2:58 p.m. 10,000 LADWP customers without power
There were approximately 10,000 LADWP customers without power as of 2:30 p.m., according to the LADWP. Extra power company crews were already working in advance of the storm.
Power outages are most frequently caused by dried palm fronds, tree branches and other falling debris that contacts power lines, according to a release from the LADWP.
An earlier power outage affecting portions of Van Nuys and Panorama City knocked out power to 1,000 customers, but LADWP crews restored power as of 1:45 p.m.
— Mike Roe/KPCC
1:59 p.m. 2nd storm sweeps through SoCal
The second of a trio of storms in the forecast drenched Southern California Friday, causing mud and rock slides, road closures and power outages.
Heavy rains triggered a mudslide and a partial closure of a main roadway in a community near the Blue Cut Fire burn area, according to California Highway Patrol reports. Crews are working to clear the blockage on the southbound lanes of Lytle Creek Canyon Road at Fork Road in San Bernardino, but the lanes remained blocked early Friday morning.
The same mud slide also cut power to the nearby community after it struck overhead equipment Thursday night, Southern California Edison's Robert Villegas told KPCC. More than 400 customers were still without power Friday morning.
Villegas estimated that power would not be restored until around 4 p.m. Friday, but crews quickly responded and began repairs.
“In expectation of the three storms that we’re having this week, we’re fully staffed and ready to go ... out in the field," he said.
A flash flood watch for Lytle Creek and surrounding areas has been posted by the National Weather Service until 7 p.m. Other portions of L.A. and Orange counties are also under advisory for floods, including Anaheim, Huntington Beach and Irvine.
In Malibu, a rock slide prompted the shut down of Malibu Canyon Road between Francisco Ranch Road and Piuma Road, according to the CHP.
Crews were working to clear the road, but Steven Frasher of the L.A. County Department of Public Works told KPCC that the road could be shut down at least through Monday because of rocks positioned above.
https://twitter.com/CHPsouthern/status/822509337088139264
"The rocks do look unstable to our geologists," Frasher said. "It's entirely possible they could give way in a bigger storm."
If the rocks don't fall, then they would have to be mechanically removed, which Fraser said isn't have to do right now with a even stronger storm coming.
Frasher said this second storm lacks the power of more fearsome storms in L.A. county's past.
"The rain is manageable at the rate it's falling right now," he said. "Los Angeles famously has some of these downpours that are much, much heavier than this in intensity. This is not that storm, yet."
Drivers are warned to stay away from rolling through standing water, as the water's actual depth can be unknown and tire-damaging debris could also be hidden within, Frasher said.
The effects of the storm caused the California Incline in Santa Monica to be shut down.
https://twitter.com/santamonicafd/status/822541863072710656
In Santa Barbara County, a flood on the southern Santa Barbara County coast has swept cabins and vehicles down a narrow canyon.
County Fire Department Capt. Dave Zaniboni told the Associated Press that a creek overflowed at midmorning Friday and swept five cabins and 15 vehicles down the canyon which lies just above El Capitan State Beach.
Firefighters rescued one person from a vehicle and another person got out of a vehicle on their own. Neither was injured.
RELATED: Do I live in a California flood zone?
Zaniboni says a dozen people are stuck up El Capitan Canyon but none are injured. Authorities are trying to determine how to get those people out.
The canyon contains a private campground with 200 cabins.
The weather service is expecting rainfall rates to exceed one inch per hour, increasing the chances for flash flooding.
The mountains of Ventura and Los Angeles counties could see moderate to heavy snowfall through Saturday morning, with a slight chance of thunderstorms predicted on Friday.
The third storm, expected to move in late Saturday night through Monday, will likely be the strongest.
Along with this series of storms in the coming days, the weather service issued a high surf warning for Orange and San Diego counties from Thursday afternoon through Tuesday. Eight to 12-foot waves are expected for Friday with some sets up to 16 feet.
This story has been updated.