Sponsored message
Logged in as
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.

News

Guy Who Smashed Donald Trump's Star Faces Up To Three Years In Jail

One year ago, Congress defunded public media. Now that we're 100% community funded, please become a sustaining member or increase your existing membership today.


The man who smashed Donald Trump's star, much to the chagrin/delight of people, is now having to deal with the fallout for his destructive act of protest.James Lambert Otis, a Dr. Seuss fanatic and presumptive heir to the Otis Elevator fortune, has been charged with felony vandalism. The Los Angeles County District Attorney's office announced the charge on Thursday and said Otis faces a possible three years in jail.

Otis smashed the star, which sits in front of the Hollywood and Highland Center, early on the morning of October 26 with a pickaxe and sledgehammer. Despite doing it during the wee hours, Otis said he was not afraid of the consequences he would face, saying, "I'm not frightened of jail and I'm certainly not frightened of Mr. Trump." He turned himself in to police later that day.

Removing the entire star, as he originally planned, ended up being too much trouble, so he hacked away at it and removed the brass emblem and nameplate. Otis said he planned on selling the pieces to raise money for the legal fees of the women who have accused Trump of sexual assault. Last week, he said he planned on suing Donald Trump over the star because it's presence attracted undue attention to the area and was a strain on public resources.

The star, which has previously been defaced and had a wall built around it, is in the process of being replaced by the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce, but isn't yet ready for Inauguration Day:

One year ago, Congress voted to defund public media, eliminating a critical $1.7 million from our budget every year going forward. But they couldn’t silence us, and we’re not going anywhere. LAist is now 100% community funded and that means we’re taking our future into our own hands and turning to you to keep local reporting strong.

You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our nonprofit newsroom doesn’t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead, we answer to you and our communities. We are free to follow facts wherever they lead and to hold power to account without fear or favor. Our only loyalty is to our readers and listeners and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen Southern California’s communities.

If this story helped you, please become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today