Sponsored message
Logged in as
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.

News

The Guy Who Destroyed Trump's Walk Of Fame Star Now Wants To Sue Donald Trump

One year ago, Congress defunded public media. Now that we're 100% community funded, please become a sustaining member or increase your existing membership today.

That guy who destroyed Donald Trump's star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame last week now says he wants to sue both Donald Trump and the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce to remove the star. As he explained to the L.A. Daily News, without a hint of irony, the vandalism and crowds the star attracts is an unnecessary strain on city resources.

The man's name is James Lambert Otis. Otis lives in Beverly Hills, is a Dr. Seuss fanatic and is widely reported to be the presumptive heir to the Otis Elevator fortune worth millions. Last week, the LAPD arrested Otis on suspicion of felony vandalism. Otis has since walked free after posting $20,000 bail, and is scheduled for a court appearance on November 18.

Otis justifies his lawsuit-to-be by saying the star's presence causes a scene. Protestors who both support and oppose Donald Trump for President clash frequently at the star. Two weeks ago, a homeless woman who ostensibly supports Trump was attacked after she voiced her support for Trump at the star.

"It's painful to watch... it's costing the city money," said Otis to the Daily News.

This is, of course, absolute garbage. James Lambert Otis, of Beverly Hills, is likely personally responsible for the single most expensive case of vandalism to take place at the star. His act required a team of city workers to replace the star in a days-long process, while surrounded by a security team. Previous vandalism includes the creative erection of a miniature wall around Trump's star, the tasteful application of a painted 'mute' symbol to the star and a series of less tasteful defacements involving dog poop and swastikas.

Though Otis hasn't formally filed his lawsuit yet, he says he'll be meeting with his attorney at 1 p.m. on Friday to publicly call for the star's removal from the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

"I don't mind suing Mr. Trump. I don't mind suing his organization. It just needs to be removed," Otis said the Daily News. "It's a symbol for Trump's fame, his history and his life. He's lived a life of abuse towards women."

Sponsored message

Well, he doesn't mind. What a hero. ๐Ÿ™„ ๐Ÿ™„ ๐Ÿ™„

One year ago, Congress voted to defund public media, eliminating a critical $1.7 million from our budget every year going forward. But they couldnโ€™t silence us, and weโ€™re not going anywhere. LAist is now 100% community funded and that means weโ€™re taking our future into our own hands and turning to you to keep local reporting strong.

You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our nonprofit newsroom doesnโ€™t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead,โ€ฏwe answer to you and our communities. We are free to follow facts wherever they lead and to hold power to account without fear or favor. Our only loyalty is to our readers and listeners and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen Southern Californiaโ€™s communities.

If this story helped you,โ€ฏplease become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today