This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
ICYMI: Behind The Scenes Of The 1932 Olympics In L.A.
- Follow LAist on Twitter, on Instagram, and like us on Facebook. You can also see what T-shirt LAist Editor-in-Chief Carman Tse is wearing today on the Shirts of My Boss Instagram. And to get the top stories mailed to you, sign up here.
- L.A. Weekly takes a look back at the history and context of the 1932 Olympics in Los Angeles; the city was referred to as "a suburb of Hollywood" by an International Olympic Committee delegate before its bid was voted on. We also compiled a bunch of photos from those games awhile back, too if you want to feed your Olympic fever.
- Speaking of the Olympics, how about that Anthony Ervin, the (ancient) 35-year-old swimmer who won gold in the 50m freestyle, 16 years after winning it for the first time in Sydney? He's had a very interesting life in between then and now, so let's get to know him, shall we?
- If you ever wanted to know what it was like to be a young, rich Chinese Angeleno, the L.A. Times' Frank Shyong has got you covered. Fantastic read.
- Robert De Niro compared Donald Trump to his deranged, psychotic, murderous character from Taxi Driver, Travis Bickle, saying, "What [Trump} has been saying is totally crazy, ridiculous, stuff that shouldn't be even...he is totally nuts...God help us."
- Vin Scully is not only better than you, he's cooler than you too.
- And finally, on this day in 1967, Fleetwood Mac made their live debut at the National Jazz and Blues Festival in Windsor, England, and you know someone bootlegged it!
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.