This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
ICYMI: Vince Neil Got Un-Invited From Playing At Trump's Inauguration
- Follow LAist on Twitter, on Instagram, and like us on Facebook. You can also see what T-shirt LAist Art & Culture Editor Carman Tse is wearing today on the Shirts of My Boss Instagram. And to get the top stories mailed to you, sign up here.
- Los Angeles has the highest number of homeless people (13,000) of any city in the country. Why? A federal report blames the lack of affordable housing.
- Our friends at Curbed looked into the the epic San Bernardino ranch that Big Macs built. The burger business was good, and the ranch was even better.
- A man who travelled to Huntington Beach from Florida died while fulfilling his life-long dream of surfing at Huntington Beach. There are worse ways to go.
- Were you guys excited about the prospect of a bitchin' Presidential Inauguration featuring Vince Neil? SIKE, he got un-invited.
- Looks like the OC Register fired up Google Maps and looked at some satellite pictures of Disneyland's upcoming Star Wars Land. You can totally see Endor!
- Hot off the ephemeral culture presses, an accidental wrong number text inspired this totally adorable exchange in Phoenix! It involves a Grandma, a man who isn't her grandson, and Thanksgiving.
- Surprise! L.A. City Councilmember Paul Koretz takes credit for Expo line successes, but blames his predecessor for its short comings.
And here's an old animated Goofy short (from 1950!) about road rage. Spot old Los Angeles in the video!
Cruise off the highway and hit locally-known spots for some tasty bites.
Fentanyl and other drugs fuel record deaths among people experiencing homelessness in L.A. County. From 2019 to 2021, deaths jumped 70% to more than 2,200 in a single year.
This fungi isn’t a “fun guy.” Here’s what to do if you spot or suspect mold in your home.
Donald Trump was a fading TV presence when the WGA strike put a dent in network schedules.
Edward Bronstein died in March 2020 while officers were forcibly taking a blood sample after his detention.
A hike can be a beautiful backdrop as you build your connection with someone.