This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
ICYMI: Mercedes' Self-Driving Cars Will Be Programmed To Kill Pedestrians
- Follow LAist on Twitter, on Instagram, and like us on Facebook. You can also see what T-shirt LAist Editor-in-Chief Carman Tse is wearing today on the Shirts of My Boss Instagram. And to get the top stories mailed to you, sign up here.
- The Mirthmobile from Wayne's World is up for sale. Excellent.
- Speaking of cars, Mercedes will program their self-driving cars to sacrifice pedestrians to save its driver.
- So it turns out that despite having the worst traffic in America, L.A. also happens to be a leader in transportation technology. I mean, we have SpaceX. Can other places even compare?
- A baseball fan who made a (bad) bet now has to eat everything on the menu at Dodger Stadium's concession stands. Good luck, man.
- Downtown L.A.'s bike share is going well, but not as well as bike share in other cities, the Los Angeles Times reports.
- The Central Valley's Highway 99 has been rated the deadliest in the nation.
- Area Codes 213 and 323 are technically merging. Not that it matters that much anymore. Does anyone remember dialing just seven-digit phone numbers anymore?
- Despite being written in 2011, this Politico piece detailing Mike Pence's one-man crusade against Planned Parenthood couldn't be more relevant. Sidenot: Please, please don't write in "Mike Pence."
And here's a stellar window to the past! Take an animated tour of Hollywood circa 1942:
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.