This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
ICYMI: Humans May Have Arrived In North America 130,000 Years Ago
- Follow LAist on Twitter, on Instagram, and like us on Facebook. And to get the top stories mailed to you, sign up here.
- An old mastodon skeleton found outside of San Diego shows signs that it was "processed" in some meaningful way by human beings. The catch is that the skeleton is 130,000 years old, much older than the broadly accepted 15,000-years-ago estimate for people's arrival in the Western Hemisphere.
- The most expensive school board election in the country's history just wrapped up here in little old Los Angeles. The L.A. Times breaks down why so many millions flowed into an obscure race.
- Metro is looking to broadly re-imagine its bus system over the next couple years. By 2019, the agency wants to have a full report on how to improve service drafted up and ready to go.
- More than 200 people climbed to the summit of Mount Baldy to commemorate the life of Seuk Doo Kim, the man who summited the mountain about 800 times. Kim, who was 78, died after falling off the north face of the mountain in April.
- After a bid to establish a Skid Row Neighborhood Council was lost, a three-member election review panel recommended an investigation, and a new election, because of some allegedly dirty politics.L.A. City's Department of Neighborhood Empowerment tossed away that recommendation, frustrating and enraging activists who argue Skid Row lacks political representation.
And now, a video of some guinea pigs enjoying a bath:
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.