Extra Extra: First You Gotta Do the Truffle Shuffle
LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.
- The country's safest city (some years, anyway), is getting less and less so: a shooting this morning at a Simi Valley tire store left two dead and two injured. Police have ruled out robbery and suspect a personal motive in the attack.
- There are a few updates on the potential water cutbacks -- although Los Angeles is okay for now (thanks to the Owens Valley), the time may come when water rationing will be a fact of life.
- The LAPD says "sorry" about the shoddy way it handled this year's May Day immigration protests. What's to blame? Why, understaffing and not enough training, of course.
- Goonies never say die!! No, really, apparently they don't: Sean Astin is saying "with absolute certainty" that there will be an animated sequel to the classic 80's flick.
- We're creeping quietly into fire season: so far, there was a small brush fire in Elysian Park yesterday, but no injuries reported or structures damaged.
- Quote of the day, courtesy of those wacky UCLA astrophysicists: "Quasars are like the cookie monster....They are messy eaters, and they can consume less matter than they spit out in the form of winds." Yes, but can all that, uhh, wind explain the mysteries of the early universe?
- Watch out, Los Angeles, and hide your coke pants! Lindsay's out of rehab. Apparently it was a sobering experience. Yuck, yuck!!!
- First Radiohead, then Nine Inch Nails, and now Oasis and Jamiroquai: more and more bands are toying with the idea of offering their music for free via the web, or at least at seriously reduced prices.
- It's not puppies, but it's pretty close on the cuteness meter: ten endangered baby foxes were released into the wilds of Santa Cruz Island yesterday, thanks to a successful captive breeding program.
- Oxygen! More important than the Spanish language? (The women's lifestyle channel, that is, not breathing.)