Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

Housing and Homelessness

Deadline Is Closing To Get Help Paying Your Back Rent In LA

Photo illustration
(Lisa Brenner/LAist
Source photos: Florian Berger/Unsplash, Matt Artz/Unsplash)
Before you
Dear reader, we're asking you to help us keep local news available for all. Your tax-deductible financial support keeps our stories free to read, instead of hidden behind paywalls. We believe when reliable local reporting is widely available, the entire community benefits. Thank you for investing in your neighborhood.

If you were hit hard financially by the pandemic, and are behind on your rent, you can apply for rent relief through the Emergency Rental Assistance Program.

You have to be quick, however the deadline in L.A. County and the City of L.A. is tomorrow, Friday, April 30 at 11:59 pm.

Long Beach residents have until May 12 to apply.

If you’re eligible, the program will pay your landlord 80% of your unpaid back rent from April 1, 2020 thru March 30, 2021. Your landlord has to be on board, and has to agree to forgive the other 20%.

Support for LAist comes from

The first step is figuring out which program to apply to, as it’s based on your location. City of L.A. residents apply here. Long Beach residents apply here. If you live in L.A. County outside of those cities, apply for California’s statewide rental assistance program here.

Check out our comprehensive guide, where we’ve got information about the application process, eligibility requirements, and the many organizations working to help out tenants.