Sponsored message
Logged in as
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.

News

Hollywood Forever Cemetery To Remove Monument To Confederate Soldiers

One year ago, Congress defunded public media. Now that we're 100% community funded, please become a sustaining member or increase your existing membership today.


Update: The monument has been removed.A week before white supremacists gathered in Charlottesville to violently protestthe removal of a statue of Robert E. Lee, the L.A. Times ran an op-ed pointing out a Confederate momument tucked away inside one of L.A.'s best-loved tourist attractions: Hollywood Forever Cemetery. After petitioning from local activists, Hollywood Forever announced plans Tuesday evening to remove the monument.

"We are removing the monument at the request of the United Daughters of the Confederacy, Long Beach branch [who maintain the monument]," Hollywood Forever president and co-owner Tyler Cassity told LAist on Tuesday.

In the wake of the Charlottesville rally, a Change.org petition calling on Cassity to remove the monument garnered over a thousand signatures in a matter of days. "It is far past time to keep traces of white supremacists where they belong - in history books," the petition said.

The petition's fight to topple the Confederate legacy in California was echoed by Josh Androsky, co-chair of the Democratic Socialists of America Los Angeles agitprop committee, who took to Twitter to broadcast his request that Hollywood Forever remove the statue.

Sponsored message

Cassity told LAist that Hollywood Forever contacted the United Daughters of the Confederacy (UDC) to inform them that they'd received "constant calls" urging the monument's removal, and that the monument had been repeatedly vandalized, at which point the UDC opted to remove it. Individual grave markers of the 30-odd Confederate soldiers who are buried at Hollywood Forever Cemetery will remain, but the seven-foot plaque commemorating their loyalty to the Civil War-era South will not.

Cassity described the UDC's request to remove the Confederate monument as "a relief," noting that the removal was influenced by the unrest in Charlottesville. "We don't want to be a place of contention or debate," said Cassity.

One year ago, Congress voted to defund public media, eliminating a critical $1.7 million from our budget every year going forward. But they couldn’t silence us, and we’re not going anywhere. LAist is now 100% community funded and that means we’re taking our future into our own hands and turning to you to keep local reporting strong.

You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our nonprofit newsroom doesn’t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead, we answer to you and our communities. We are free to follow facts wherever they lead and to hold power to account without fear or favor. Our only loyalty is to our readers and listeners and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen Southern California’s communities.

If this story helped you, please become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today