Happy Birthday Saturday Night Live! Part 4
Saturday Night Live premiered this week in 1975. In honor of their anniversary, LAist is going to show a clip from the show each night this week at midnight and also list what happens each day during the week that leads to the show being on the air Saturday night. Have favorite clips of your own? Submit them here Today's clip features the "Dick in a Box" music video that became a cult hit and instant Halloween costume idea.
Thursday: * The surviving sketches are reviewed, word-by-word, by the writing staff as a whole or in two groups in the case of co-head writers.
* Some sketches which survived the cut because of their premise, but are in need of work, are rewritten completely. Others are changed in smaller ways.
* The Weekend Update crew starts coming together, starting with the news items written by writers dedicated all week to the segment.
* The crew comes in for rehearsal, and the music act is rehearsed as well as some of the larger, more important sketches.
* The musical guest does a photo shoot for the SNL bumpers.
* The host and musical guest and usually some cast members shoot two to four promos to play for NBC.