Extra, Extra: Happy Birthday, Randy Newman
Stories like these are only possible with your help!
Your donation today keeps LAist independent, ready to meet the needs of our city, and paywall free. Thank you for your partnership, we can't do this without you.
- Follow LAist on Twitter and Instagram, and like us on Facebook.
- Another reason to get super excited for El Nino: the L.A. Times reports that trash pick-ups could be suspended if big rainstorms are forecasted.
- Metro's Expo Line western extension routes began testing the line's signals and switches Saturday morning. Not as dramatic as when the train rolled into Santa Monica for the first time, but still! We're seeing progress. Metro expects the line to be complete by spring of next year.
- Dodger star Yasiel Puig, who got into a fight at a Miami Club, as we reported yesterday, suffered a swollen eye and facial lacerations, reports the A.P. And the woman he started the fight with? His sister.
- Did you go shopping on Friday?
- Oh. The Atlantic says those numbers don't matter anyway.
- Wonder what this Joycean flyer found up by the Hollywood sign is all about.
- More than 130 families in Los Angeles had to temporarily relocate because of the foul stench caused by a leak at massive natural gas storage facility. Fox reports that 650 residents of Porter Ranch have complained about the intense smell, which they claim has been the cause of nausea, headaches and dizziness since the leak was discovered in late October.
- Comedic magicians Penn and Teller were announced as the co-grand marshals of the Hollywood Christmas Parade, and people are mad because Penn Jillette is an outspoken atheist. Can we just get these people some Starbucks cups with Jesus on them?
- Did you come to L.A. to make movies? Maybe you should have gone to Berlin instead.
- And finally, a very Happy Birthday to Mr. Randy Newman, who turns 72 years young today.