This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: Happy Birthday, Randy Newman
- Follow LAist on Twitter and Instagram, and like us on Facebook.
- Another reason to get super excited for El Nino: the L.A. Times reports that trash pick-ups could be suspended if big rainstorms are forecasted.
- Metro's Expo Line western extension routes began testing the line's signals and switches Saturday morning. Not as dramatic as when the train rolled into Santa Monica for the first time, but still! We're seeing progress. Metro expects the line to be complete by spring of next year.
- Dodger star Yasiel Puig, who got into a fight at a Miami Club, as we reported yesterday, suffered a swollen eye and facial lacerations, reports the A.P. And the woman he started the fight with? His sister.
- Did you go shopping on Friday?
- Oh. The Atlantic says those numbers don't matter anyway.
- Wonder what this Joycean flyer found up by the Hollywood sign is all about.
- More than 130 families in Los Angeles had to temporarily relocate because of the foul stench caused by a leak at massive natural gas storage facility. Fox reports that 650 residents of Porter Ranch have complained about the intense smell, which they claim has been the cause of nausea, headaches and dizziness since the leak was discovered in late October.
- Comedic magicians Penn and Teller were announced as the co-grand marshals of the Hollywood Christmas Parade, and people are mad because Penn Jillette is an outspoken atheist. Can we just get these people some Starbucks cups with Jesus on them?
- Did you come to L.A. to make movies? Maybe you should have gone to Berlin instead.
- And finally, a very Happy Birthday to Mr. Randy Newman, who turns 72 years young today.
Michael John Mammone, 58, was riding his bicycle Wednesday along Pacific Coast Highway in Dana Point when he was assaulted.
Please don't hurt yourself.
Anthony Lowe was shot and killed by Huntington Park police on Jan. 26. 'Thank goodness that we’re in the era of videos,' said the family attorney as they file a federal civil rights lawsuit
The mountain lion's death comes about a month after the beloved P-22 was euthanized.
With two hikers still missing — one the well-known actor Julian Sands — expert mountaineers say the usual scarcity of snow in the L.A.-area makes it especially hard to get enough experience to safely venture out in harsh conditions.
But Yeoh is the first to publicly identify as Asian. We take a look at Oberon's complicated path in Hollywood.