This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Go to Every Laker Home Game for College Credit?
When we were kids there were internships, but nothing like this. Your Los Angeles Lakers are looking for two interns (aka you get the pleasure of running around being everyones bitch), but you get to do it at every Lakers home game, two preseason games, and any playoff games that Kobe's Krew stumble their way into.
You don't get paid, but if you're in college and do everything right, and get accepted as an intern, you get college credit!
And here we had to go to class. You (might) get to go to Staples.
Details about the internship after the jump.
Community Relations Intern (2007-08 Season) - Los Angeles Lakers (Los Angeles, CA)
The Los Angeles Lakers Community Relations department currently has (2) openings for part-time seasonal internships for the 2007-08 NBA season.
Summary of intern responsibilities:
- Attend ALL 41 regular season home games, two pre-season games in October, and any potential 2008 NBA Playoff games to assist in the coordination of game day duties including, but not limited to; overseeing the in-arena auction table, coordinating volunteer groups for promotional giveaways and administering programs such as the honorary camera kid, honorary high five kid and honorary ball kid.
- Work in the office one day a week 10:00am-5:00pm throughout the season to assist with various administrative duties including the organization of department mail, responding to donation requests, and responding to fan mail
- Assist the department during player appearances and community events, including Thanksgiving and Holiday events, corporate events, and school events
- Assist the department in administering various community programs, including Read to Achieve, Student and Teacher of the Month, and the Freedom Through My Eyes Essay Contest
- MUST receive college credit for internship
- Be a junior or senior in college or in graduate school (Greater Los Angeles area candidates only, please)
- MUST be able to work all 41 home games and any potential 2008 NBA Playoff games. NO EXCEPTIONS! Please check the Lakers regular season home schedule on the Lakers website at www.lakers.com to make sure you have no conflicts before you apply. Please note that we do have games on holidays (e.g. Christmas, New Year's Eve, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, etc.) and you are expected to work. Please keep in mind that you will be expected to arrive at the arena two to three hours prior to game time for all home games.
- Must be a self starter and have the ability to complete assignments in a timely manner
- Experience in web design/html coding and Microsoft Publisher are a plus
- Experience working with non-profit organizations and/or volunteering in the community are preferred.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
Note: When you apply for this job online, you will be required to answer the following questions:
1. Yes/No: I have local housing available in or near Los Angeles .
2. Yes/No: I will receive college credit for this internship.
3. Yes/No: I am currently a junior or senior in college or in graduate school.
4. Yes/No: I am able to work all 41 home games and any potential 2008 NBA Playoff games.
photo by The Flying Enchilada via flickr