Gang Member Suspect In Fatal Hit-And-Run Turns Himself In
The suspect in a hit-and-run that killed two men in Santa Ana turned himself in this morning and was booked on suspicion of vehicular manslaughter.Jorge Ocampo, 21, surrendered at Santa Ana Police Headquarters at 12:30 a.m., Santa Ana Police Cmdr. Jeff Owens told City News Service.
KTLA reports that Ocampo is a documented gang member who was out on parole at the time of the accident.
He is suspected of being at the wheel of a black Audi that ran a stop sign and broadsided a blue Nissan around 11:30 a.m. Friday at the intersection of Cabrillo Park Drive and Fruit Street, police said.
The driver of the Nissan, identified as 53-year-old Santa Ana resident Alejandro Bravo, was pronounced dead at the scene. A passenger in the Nissan, 50-year-old Juan Jose Luna-Castro, was pronounced dead at a hospital about 40 minutes after the collision, according to CNS.
Friends of the two men told KTLA they were on their way to lunch and to get supplies for a neighborhood party.
Ocampo, who is the registered owner of the Audi, left the scene. According to Santa Ana Police Cpl. Anthony Bertagna, he was speeding at the time of the crash.
Witnesses report that Ocampo got out of his car and tried to open the Nissan's doors. When he couldn't get inside the car, witnesses said he walked away while talking on his cell phone. Police tell KTLA that he called a friend to pick him up, leaving the two men to die.
Police initially reported that two suspects had been involved in the hit-and-run and later amended that to just one.
The two victims lived at the condominiums nearby, ABC 7 reports. Luna was a longtime groundskeeper there.
"He was such a fixture of the Redwoods," resident Kathleen Squires told ABC. "I'm going to really miss him."
Friends and family gathered Friday night at a memorial for the victims.
"I'm going to miss him. I don't even have words that can express how I feel inside right now," said Bravo's nephew, Bryan Ledesma.