It's Food Day in L.A. So What Does That Mean?
It's Food Day! But wait, we eat every day so why an actual "Food" day? According to the non-profit that is sponsoring this day as dialogue they have some fairly straightforward (okay, awesome) goals:
- Reduce diet-related disease by promoting safe, healthy foods
- Support sustainable farms & limit subsidies to big agribusiness
- Expand access to food and alleviate hunger
- Protect the environment & animals by reforming factory farms
- Promote health by curbing junk-food marketing to kids
- Support fair conditions for food and farm workers
Do all the above and Michael Pollan will shut up... or not. The Advisory Board of Food Day consists of rowdy heroes like Will Allen, Alice Waters, Jim Hightower and Michel Nischan of the Wholesome Wave Foundation. Not included are the South Central Farmers who are rumored to be at City Hall this afternoon.
Wanting to merely Tweet about it? The LA Green Festival is co-hosting #foodday #greenchat on the interwebs know at twitter this evening at 7. From #tweetchat join in at hashtag #greenfest. (We've got more info about Green Festival, too!)