This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Foodie Round-up: Top Chef Blogged, Bruni at Cut, LAist in SF
- What are your favorite food memoirs? Ruth Reichl shares her picks with NPR, and we definitely agree that these are must-reads, especially Jeffrey Steingarten's hilarious and informative essays.
- Still haven't taken the $20 Farmer's Market Challenge? Now Slashfood and the Washington Post are polling readers to see how much loot they can get at their local markets for only twenty bucks.
- Jonathan Gold and Pat Saperstein over at EatingLA are both reporting on Jitlada Thai's excellent southern Thai menu.
- Need to take a quick food porn vacation at your desk? Head on over to David Lebovitz's website, where he is ranking the best delicacies in Paris - oh yes, there are photos.
- Frank Bruni stops by Wolfgang Puck's new steakhouse, Cut: the verdict? "Pretty good, although...oh hey, look, celebrities! Chicks making out! Wooty woo!"
- If the mountain will not come to Mohammed, Mohammed will go to the mountain. Or something. LAist's Elise Thompson braves the San Francisco food scene, and reports back on all the goods (and bads).
- EaterLA checked in with Food & Wine Magazine's Grow For Good event last night and chatted up Dave Lieberman, who has plans in the works for a Los Angeles restaurant. Ain't he just the cutest?
- Okay, Top Chef Recap time!! Eight contestants left and it’s time for the infamous RESTAURANT challenge, which left both teams struggling (although the underdog team of Howie,
Sara N., Hung, Dale, and Sara M. worked surprisingly well together). Chef Daniel Boulud was the guest judge; naturally, everybody wet themselves upon seeing him. Competition ended in a draw: total bullshit.
The night's episode was also notable in that - gasp! - a blogger was on the judge's panel as well! Here's Andrea Strong's take on her judging stint; both Eater and Gawker think she was kind of a bitch and the whole deal was rather shady. Gothamist has more. Photo by jcodysimms via Flickr