Foodie Round-Up: Merry California Christmas Edition!
Stories like these are only possible with your help!
You have the power to keep local news strong for the coming months. Your financial support today keeps our reporters ready to meet the needs of our city. Thank you for investing in your community.
- Are you lazy? A terrible cook? Don't care about Christmas? Where are you going to find someplace to eat that's open during the holidays? Chinese food is a great option, of course -- and Gayot lists some other fine dining places that are serving up deals on Christmas Eve.
- Looking for a last-minute book buy for the chef in your life? The LA Times lists the year's top cookpook picks.
- JGold celebrates the opening of another cousin of the San Gabriel Valley's famed Golden Deli, the new Vietnam Restaurant, which offers a "magnificent seven-beef dinner, a procession of sweet beef salad, beef wrapped in charred la lot leaves, ground beef baked with vermicelli into a crumbly meat loaf and grilled beef filets twisted into chewy cylinders, beef daubed with sweet satay sauce, and slices of beef that you simmer in a tabletop cauldron seething with boiling vinegar." Oh. Oh. Hungry. Very hungry.
- Craft beers, vegansexuals, civet poop coffee, and locavores: it's the Chowhound Year in Food round-up.
- Still no word on when exactly San Yoon's Culver City branch of Father's Office will be opening -- mid January is EaterLA's best guess -- but signage is up!
- The Well Fed Network announced its 2007 Food Blog Award winners, including a few of our favorites, like Ruhlman, 101Cookbooks, and Lunch in a Box, cause decorative fruit sculpture is fucking rad.
- What happens when a grocery store's computer system crashes right in the middle of prime holiday-dinner-shopping time? Well, at this Connecticut Whole Foods, the manager just gave away the groceries with a smile. The store ended up giving away $4,000 worth of items.
- Sarah over at The Delicious Life has Christmas goodies of another sort: a Dozen Delicious Stocking Stuffers.
Photo by ellwoodite via LAist Featured Photos Flickr Pool