This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Foodie Round-Up: Go to a Farmer's Market This Weekend!
- Would you pay $85 for truffle mac n' cheese? Or would you rather enjoy the cheaper, classic versions at Larkin's or Lucky Devil's? The Glutton over at the LA Times samples the goods for you.
- What do we want? Conservation programs, access to healthy food, and promotion of renewable energy! When do we want it? Whenever the Senate gets around to voting on the Farm Bill. There's still time to make your voice heard.
- The University of California has been studying the impact of farmer's markets on local economies: turns out, they benefit farmers, communities, and consumers. Now you have no reason not to buy your produce locally.
- Blogging LA profiles one of our very favorite native daughters: the greatest culinary diplomat the world has ever known, Julia Child, who was born in Pasadena and died a few years ago at her home in Montecito. The book My Life in France was one of the best reads of 2006.
- Wanna know where Bret ("Brit?") from Flight of the Conchords eats when he's in town? Or where Alyson Hannigan takes cooking lessons? Or where Jason Lee gets his Mexican fix? The stars share their favorite food spots and much more.
- Casa Bianca is often touted as one of the best pizza joints in all of SoCal; Jonathan Gold mourns the loss of the restaurant's presiding pizza genius, Sam Martorana.
- Ha. Ha ha. Ha ha ha ha ha! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!! Ahem. Sorry. What I meant to say: an Oakland cafe has put a sign on their door that says "No Yelpers!!!". You know Yelp -- it's that "blind hodgepodge of personal bias, shills and nonsensical ratings that makes for difficult user experience". But that's just, uh, EaterSF's opinion.
- Another sushi place, Yuta, is going up over in Studio City's sushi row -- this one is also cashing in on the izakaya and Slow Food trends. EaterLA takes a peek inside. Whatever, I love beer paired with bits of meat on sticks, I'm there!
- If the drinks are as good (and as expensive) as the food, cocktail hour at Providence will leave you verrrrry drunk (and verrrrry poor). Caroline on Crack participates in a cocktail tasting at the prestigious seafood palace.
Photo by nevin via Flickr