This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: The Anti-Valentine's Day Edition
- Steve Poizner has no love for Allianz: The state Insurance Commissioner announced a $10 million settlement with Allianz Life Insurance Company, the biggest seller of annuities in California, today in Burbank. Allianz swindled hundreds of 84 and 85 into bad deals that cost them thousands of dollars.
- David Hiller has no love for his employees: The LA Times publisher announced yesterday that, due to lack of funds, the Times will cut up to 150 workers, 50 of which could be in the newsroom. The Times also hired a new editor, which the Daily News took deeelight in: "L.A. Times names Russ Stanton editor, fourth person to take reins of newsroom since '05" Snark!
- Northern Illinois University has no love for guns: Chicagoist reported that at least 18 people were injured at the college campus today when a lone gunman with a shotgun and two handguns opened up fire in a geology class. The shooter apparently killed himself.
- Pres. Bush has no love for space: Today, Bush announced that we will try to shoot down a failing 5,000-pound spy satellite because the spacecraft's rocket fuel could turn into a toxic gas that could kill or maim wherever it fell. If and when it happens. it would be the first attempt to shoot down a satellite since Cold War-era military tests ended in the 1980s.
- Government has no love for gay marriage: "For the fifth time, two women were denied today in their effort to obtain a marriage license in Beverly Hills... Robin Tyler and Diane Olson first sought a marriage license at the Beverly Hills Courthouse on Feb. 12, 2004, a date gay advocacy groups designated as National Freedom to Marry Day because of its proximity to Lincoln's Birthday and Valentine's Day -- perceived links to equality and love" [KNX1070]
- No love whatsoever: In what appears to be a gang related shooting, a 17-year-old boy riding his bicycle was shot in the head near Clinton Street and Norton Avenue in Hollywood.He died later at the hospital.
- Chinese Actors have no love for commerce: F-List actor Bai Ling was arrested today at LAX for shoplifting $16 worth of two magazines and two packs of batteries.
- Valentine's Day has no love for hipster it-people: "Cory Kennedy and Cobrasnake are so over."
- Did you have no love for preparing for tonight? Check out our Pencil This In, Tonight in Rock and TV Junkie columns for some ideas. Or maybe you want to do some internet dating with CrazyBlindDate or RocknRollDating.
LAist Editor Zach Behrens contributed to this report