This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: Sweet Hollywood Memorabilia Auction and New Smoking Ban
- 43 people suspected of being members of the Eastside Pain Bloods gang were arrested by more than 400 police officers in predawn raids yesterday.
- More staff cuts coming at the Daily News: zone coverage of Santa Clarita and the Antelope Valley to be eliminated.
- Yikes! How much did Tony spend to help get his three candidates onto the school board?
- The L.A. City Council has just approved a ban on smoking in city parks.
- The J. Paul Getty Museum has agreed to return 40 antiquities - including the prized statue of Aphrodite - to Italy.
- Ever wish you could lay your hands on Tony Soprano's Suburban or Uncle Rico's sweet van?
- Good news for you Pogue fans: the band will be returning to L.A. later this year to play a few shows.
- Did God smite Christina Aguilera for being a "sexual terrorist"?
- In a blow to Iraq's fledgling (some might say non-existent) coalition government, the largest Sunni Arab political bloc has decided to leave parliament amidst continuing sectarian and militant violence.
- It's about time: the U.N. is set to send 26,000 troops to help war-ravaged Darfur.
- Once thriving virtual hotspot "Second Life" not so hot anymore.
- Funky Winkerbean returns to the LA Daily News, a nation readership rejoices