This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: Cheney's New Heart, Simpsons' Boffo Friday Numbers and Scandals Galore
- Civic Center developments still struggling amidst Downtown construction boom.
- Nothing like a good Saturday scandal story: a manager for the Housing Authority of the City of Los Angeles was found to have illegally steered almost $800,000 in contracts to family members and corporate allies.
- One begets another: an inmate serving a life sentence for the murder of actress Rebecca Schaeffer in 1989 was stabbed 11 times by another inmate.
- Taking animal cruelty to a whole new level, Newport Beach fisherman Hai Nguyen was arrested for stabbing a sea lion with a steak knife after it took his bait.
- Whoopty-doo: Cheney's heart device (internal heart defibrillator, if you must know) was successfully replaced this morning.
- A woman crashed into an Orange Line Metroliner bus this morning, sending five people to the hospital.
- Big Friday box-office numbers for The Simpsons: $30 million.
- Spread of gangs in the military is a threat to national security.
- Several mosquitoes caught in Riverside tested positive for West Nile Virus.
- Federal officials have cleared the Martin Luther King Junior-Harbor Hospital of patient jeopardy, opening the way for a possible return of federal funding.