Extra, Extra: Prepare for the Cool
LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.
- Home plate Kerwin Danley, who took a 96 mph Brad Penny heater off the face mask during last night's Dodger game --and briefly lost consciousness -- has been released from the hospital. Dodgers medical personnel accompanied him to Good Samaritan Hospital, where officials Sunday said Danley was treated in the emergency room and released.
- To update our coverage of the Sierra Madre fire, All Sierra Madre schools -- both public and private -- have been canceled for tomorrow and evacuations are to remain in place through Monday at 6 a.m., provided that the fire conditions remain steady. All residents are still strongly urged to leave their homes if they are in the mandatory evacuation area, according to the Foothill Cities Blog.
- A 21-year-old with no known gang connections was shot Friday night on Melrose near Hollywood by alleged gang members who fled the scene. The man had been bringing his family food when he was shot close to the corner of Melrose Avenue and Hobart Boulevard, police said.
- Get ye sex offending tail out of here, said some Long Beach residents and the city council there to about 800 registered sex offenders who might be forced to move if a recently passed ordinance takes effect Monday. Some attorneys are formally asking the council to rescind the ordinance, saying many people will be unfairly put out by the law. Long Beach is about to heat up.
- Wait, did someone say hot? The National Weather Service said the mercury shot up to 96 degrees today, but expects things to cool of significantly by Tuesday. "Many coastal and valley areas could experience over 30 degrees of cooling from Sunday to Tuesday." Oh, Los Angeles.
- Who says water has no taste? High levels of lead have been found in one LAUSD school.
- The brass at the LA Times has told its sport writers to act like journalists.
- Finally, for those missing out on the three-day music orgy in Coachella, Losanjealous has your back in the best way they know how: with insane food concoctions from Indio that make your mouth water and your stomach hurt just from looking at it.