Extra Extra: A Hard Wind's a Coming
LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.
- Hide the knives, Joan Didion: the Santa Anas are coming! The Santa Anas are coming!
- The new assistant director over at the Los Angeles branch of the FBI has experience in the domestic terror, white-collar crime, and foreign relations divisions; he has also spent time in Mexico City as an FBI legal attache.
- This week's Sign of the Apocalypse: kids as young as thirteen and fourteen are now getting into the paparazzi business. We sure know how to raise 'em out here.
- Test pilot and airspace researcher Stanley P. Butchart died in Lancaster at the age of 85 on Monday -- leaving behind a legacy of aeronautic achievement and seventeen great-grandkids. Nice job, guy!
- What, you mean those shiny new condos are expensive? NoHo artists are being priced out of the rapidly developing NoHo Arts District.
- In other kinds of rent: the baby who was shot and killed near MacArthur Park last month was caught in a deadly deal between gangs and the street merchants they "protect" at a steep price.
- Arson is suspected in a Hollywood church blaze that burned out a children's center on Saturday; the fire caused $100,000 worth of damage.
- While city employee salaries rise, taxes on city services like gas, water, and phone lines are also going up. Photo of Ronald Reagan Library in Simi Valley by deadeyebart via Flickr.