Extra, Extra: Corn Surplus, Bacteria Rampage, Hey! At Least It's Nice Outside
LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.
- Anti-war protesters have been gathering in Downtown Los Angeles this afternoon; the CHP has blocked off two ramps on the 101 because of the protest.
- Huge meat recall: Topps Meat Company is recalling over 20 million pounds of hamburger patties that may be infected with e.coli: more than a dozen people have gotten sick.
- The man who threatened Tom Cruise with extortion for stolen wedding pictures was found dead in his home, an apparent suicide.
- Let's put on a show, guys! The famed L.A. band Los Lobos is helping to rebuild Garfield High School's gymnasium, which burned down in an arson fire earlier this year: they'll be performing live with several other acts to help raise the money.
- The Bruins and the Trojans have big games tonight: as of this writing, UCLA has capitalized on an Oregon turnover to catch up a bit -- it's 14-12 Oregon. The USC-Washington game is still scoreless.
- What constitutes "need-to-know" information on the internet? What is worthy of being archived, and who is in charge of making that decision? The Wikipedia wars are heating up.
- A rare bacteria found in Lake Havasu may be responsible for the death of a fourteen-year-old vacationing with his family. It's a brain-eating bug, by the way.
- When are people going to realize that more corn just isn't the answer? The ethanol boom hasn't been paying off: a glut in the market has meant falling profits and unhappy farmers.