This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: Corn Surplus, Bacteria Rampage, Hey! At Least It's Nice Outside
- Anti-war protesters have been gathering in Downtown Los Angeles this afternoon; the CHP has blocked off two ramps on the 101 because of the protest.
- Huge meat recall: Topps Meat Company is recalling over 20 million pounds of hamburger patties that may be infected with e.coli: more than a dozen people have gotten sick.
- The man who threatened Tom Cruise with extortion for stolen wedding pictures was found dead in his home, an apparent suicide.
- Let's put on a show, guys! The famed L.A. band Los Lobos is helping to rebuild Garfield High School's gymnasium, which burned down in an arson fire earlier this year: they'll be performing live with several other acts to help raise the money.
- The Bruins and the Trojans have big games tonight: as of this writing, UCLA has capitalized on an Oregon turnover to catch up a bit -- it's 14-12 Oregon. The USC-Washington game is still scoreless.
- What constitutes "need-to-know" information on the internet? What is worthy of being archived, and who is in charge of making that decision? The Wikipedia wars are heating up.
- A rare bacteria found in Lake Havasu may be responsible for the death of a fourteen-year-old vacationing with his family. It's a brain-eating bug, by the way.
- When are people going to realize that more corn just isn't the answer? The ethanol boom hasn't been paying off: a glut in the market has meant falling profits and unhappy farmers.
Photo by robbie via the LAist Featured Photos pool on Flickr
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.