This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra Extra: Less Crime in LA Means Jack Bauer Can Go On a Bender!
- If you thought earthquake season was over -- you were wrong! A 3.9 shaker hit the Lake Elsinore area earlier this afternoon . Maybe that explains the unseasonably warm weather today?
- Today in Shitty Traffic: parts of Wilshire are being closed off due to reports of a "suspicious package," Defamer is reporting that "the LAPD has closed the eastbound traffic of Wilshire Boulevard at Veteran Avenue to Westwood Boulevard ."
- Hopefully justice will be served here: the man suspected of shooting his pregnant girlfriend in front of her two children has turned himself in to police .
- The biggest private employer in Ventura County is about to get a lot smaller: biotech giant Amgen is set to lay off 8% of its workforce , part of the company's efforts to scale back spending in the wake of dropping sales. This is totally going to suck for all those rich Westlake Villagers.
- CurbedLA has been keeping a close eye on that house on the 101 ; it may finally be moved tonight, much to the dismay of Wizard of Oz fans across the city.
- Violent crime in Los Angeles fell again in 2006 , and the LAPD reported only only 293 homicides (compared to 656 just five years ago!): nationwide crime went up 2% overall, however.
- Blame Canada? Kiefer Sutherland got arrested for a misdemeanor DUI (oh stop being so trendy, Kief!), mere hours before being honored by the Alliance of Canadian Cinema, Television and Radio Artists.
- A new eco-friendly furniture store is opening in Panorama City , the green warehouse is expected to employ about 300 people [registration required to view article].
- Just one of the many ways USC takes your money: exorbitant parking meter prices, and only feet away from more economically-priced city meters ! (Okay, okay, the UCLA parking situation isn't any better).
Photo by sundogg via the LAist Featured Photos pool on Flickr
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.