This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra Extra: One Million Trees? Not So Fast.
- Los Angeles is cleaning up after a wet weekend that drenched the southland and knocked out power to thousands.
- Want asthma? LAUSD is building seven new schools near freeways, despite scientific studies saying such construction could damage the children's lungs.
- Huell Howser is here. That's amazing!
- The city's neighborhood councils could be in for some major changes. Maybe now, you'll actually understand what they are.
- A Los Angeles man suspected of shooting his pregnant girlfriend in front of her two children surrenderedto police today.
- Stemming from an Aug. 6 accident in which she hit a car and walked away, Britney Spears has been charged misdemeanor counts of hit-and-run and driving without a valid license. She could get time.
- Continuing his green (and blue) push, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger addressed a United Nations summit on climate change.
- The chairman of the Cal State Long Beach journalism department on Friday was ousted after criticizing an idea broached by a college dean to eliminate print editions of the campus newspaper. He may have also been a poor leader.
- Foothill Cities Blog is sick and tired of "un-sweet" and "un-new" development in the area. In an attempt to highlight new projects that will be a boon for the area, readers can nominate their pick for the "sweetest new development".
- The Mayor's girlfriend is going back to work. Will she be covering the action at City Hall where the action is hot and the affairs are steamy? Nope.
- And how is the Mayor's One Million Tree initiative going? Eh, not so well.
Photo by nopantsxris via the LAist Featured Photos pool on Flickr
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.