This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: Arcade Fire Contest, Creepy LA, and Hips Do Study
- Have you entered LAist's contest to win Arcade Fire tickets yet? Head on over and comment to become eligible: are you a wine drinker or a beer drinker when at the Bowl? Or, are you like some people we know who bring in a couple of forties and a bucket of fried chicken?
- An infant was shot and killed last night in MacArthur Park; the baby was hit by a stray bullet while his mother was walking him in his stroller.
- Heads up, Blue Line commuters: the LAFD Alert system is notifying us of a vehicle collision near downtown; no passenger injuries reported yet. The LA Times Bottleneck Blog has more.
- Wondering where in Hell-A to get your thrills on this Halloween? Head on over to CreepyLA, a website devoted to "the supernatural, the scary, and anything Halloween related in the Los Angeles area." Who's in for Universal Horror Night at Universal Studios?
- The LA Times editorial section takes "hand-wringers" to task for complaining about the city's urban crunch downtown and elsewhere, pointing out that L.A. "has been an urban place with plenty of multifamily housing for a century now."
- Didn't remember to watch the Emmys last night and need a quick round-up? Check out the coverage from LAT, la.com, and Variety. So this is what The Envelope is good for!
- Threats on KFed's life? The bodyguard has dirty details about child abuse AND Gloria Allred on his side? Brit's attorney up and runs? This whole Britney-KFed custody battle is shaping up to be a real doozy!
- Liberal scholar Erwin Chemerinsky has been reinstated as dean of UCI's law school, after last week's decision to fire him was met with ferocious protest and debate in L.A.'s intellectual community.
- Speaking of intellectual communities, did you know that Latino pop star Shakira has been taking classes at UCLA? She signed up for the summer session, her class of choice? "Introduction to Western Civilization: Ancient Civilizations from Prehistory to Circa A.D. 843." Nice work, girl!
Zach Behrens also contributed to this article.
Photo of a brace of ducks in a LA gutter by aldonova77 via the LAist Featured Photos pool on Flickr
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.