LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.
- Happy Birthday to the World's Oldest Person, Angeleno Gertrude Baines. She celebrated b-day #115 today in her convalescent home near Downtown.
- In El Monte, they're doing all they can to put that extra sparkle of appeal in bicycle riding by promoting the area's "Emerald Necklace."
- One of LA's gang-reduction programs is drawing praise for their success, but their screening process for participation is coming under scrutiny.
- A Temple City man caught a 51-year-old man trying to snap an upskirt shot of a teenage girl on Saturday. He punched the shutterbug, then held him until the cops arrived to make the arrest.
- Californians will soon vote on Prop 1C, but some wonder if no matter which way the vote goes, we're going to lose out.
- One of city's most loved residents had a lot of help celebrating his 83rd birthday this weekend.
- This weekend's deadly earthquake in Italy is a reason for Angelenos to be shaken up, as the death toll continues to rise. Let's all take a moment to be sure we're all prepared for the Big One here in L.A.
- LA Taco's Taco Madness 2009 has come to an end. The winner: Yuca's Tacos. (Don't forget to get a cheeseburger, too!)