This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
- Happy Birthday to the World's Oldest Person, Angeleno Gertrude Baines. She celebrated b-day #115 today in her convalescent home near Downtown.
- In El Monte, they're doing all they can to put that extra sparkle of appeal in bicycle riding by promoting the area's "Emerald Necklace."
- One of LA's gang-reduction programs is drawing praise for their success, but their screening process for participation is coming under scrutiny.
- A Temple City man caught a 51-year-old man trying to snap an upskirt shot of a teenage girl on Saturday. He punched the shutterbug, then held him until the cops arrived to make the arrest.
- Californians will soon vote on Prop 1C, but some wonder if no matter which way the vote goes, we're going to lose out.
- One of city's most loved residents had a lot of help celebrating his 83rd birthday this weekend.
- This weekend's deadly earthquake in Italy is a reason for Angelenos to be shaken up, as the death toll continues to rise. Let's all take a moment to be sure we're all prepared for the Big One here in L.A.
- LA Taco's Taco Madness 2009 has come to an end. The winner: Yuca's Tacos. (Don't forget to get a cheeseburger, too!)
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.