Extra, Extra: Overlays, Osama, and Trains, Trains, Trains!
Stories like these are only possible with your help!
You have the power to keep local news strong for the coming months. Your financial support today keeps our reporters ready to meet the needs of our city. Thank you for investing in your community.
- In order to cover the costs of their $600-million-plus priest abuse settlement, the Los Angeles Archdiocese is selling off its Santa Barbara convent, leaving the nuns with no place left to go.
- Aw, how cute, the 818 thinks it's just like the 310! The San Fernando Valley may be getting a 747 area code overlay in the very near future.
- Are we seeing a theme here yet? A thirteen-year-old boy was killed by an SUV while riding his bike last night in La Puente.
- Congress is giving student aid programs an overhaul, with more money going to Pell grants and fewer funds going towards lender subsidies.
- BREAKING: that new Osama Bin Ladin tape is now available on the net; authorities are analyzing it for authenticity even as we speak.
- North County can now exist on Sundays: Metrolink announced Sunday service on the Antelope Valley line, which serves Union Station, Glendale, Burbank, San Fernando, Sylmar, the Santa Clarita and the Antelope Valleys. Saturday service is also getting a boost with three more trains.
- Speaking of new train service, the Expo Line from downtown to Culver City got its funding! 2010, here we come!
- It costs $8 for this? "NASA can shoot a man into orbit faster than the shuttles often make the five-mile climb to the [Griffith Observatory] entrance. The once-familiar 10-minute drive in a car now can take more than 40 minutes via shuttle"