Extra, Extra - ChiMo Leaving the State, Kitten Killers, and Britney's Legal Woes
Our reporting is free for everyone, but it’s not free to make.
LAist only exists with reader support. If you're in a position to give, your donation powers our reporters and keeps us independent.
- KCBS and its KCAL affiliate picked up seven awards at the Los Angeles Emmy Awards last night, with the award for live coverage of an unannounced event going to the team for the Esperanza fire.
- Let's all share in a joyous chorus of "Hell yeah!!": teen drivers may be barred from using cell phones while driving, under state legislation passed today.
- And while we're at it, give another whoop of joy for the resignation of Attorney General Alberto Gonzales. If anybody asks you about it later, you can always just say "I do not recall!"
- This kind of stuff just makes me all weepy. And then stabby: authorities are offering a $2,500 reward to anyone who can help identify what evil, heartless bastard beat three kittens to death in Canoga Park.
- Skid Row is the site of a new art project that purports to bring a bit of green to blighted city street corners in the form of portable gardens.
- Britney's being investigated for child abuse: let's say it all together now -- give the kids to KFed! Give the kids to KFed!
- A suspect has been arrested in the Hollywood liquor-store shoot-up that left one man dead and his co-worker critically injured.
- Self-confessed pedophile Jack McClellan is leaving the state because he "can't live here under this Orwellian protocol". I'm sorry, I don't seem to remember anything in 1984 about the virtues of child molestation.
- On the other side of the world, fires are threatening the city of Olympia in Greece, where countless antiquities and historic sites are in the path of the raging inferno. Sixty people have died so far and many thousands more have been evacuated.
- The Tesla Roadster tops Treehugger's list of Top Ten Sexiest Green Cars: based on the Lotus, this looks like one sweet ride that won't cause fossil fuel guilt.