Extra, Extra: Take It or Leave It
Stories like these are only possible with your help!
You have the power to keep local news strong for the coming months. Your financial support today keeps our reporters ready to meet the needs of our city. Thank you for investing in your community.
- Want to make sushi for a living? Master sushi chef Katsuya Uechi is opening a sushi school in Downtown to educate sushi chef's properly as he has seen some incorrect methods. For example, he says, "living in Japan, you know that you're not supposed to eat certain fish in certain seasons. Here, anything goes. People think raw fish is raw fish."
- Police are on the lookout for a man who held up a Starbucks in the Beverlywood area this morning around 6 am. He brandished his gun, forced employees into the back, and took an unspecified amount of cash.
- A Newport man died yesterday after lifeguards pulled him unconscious from the ocean. Charles Jasmine, 52, was pronounced dead at Hoag Hospital, and the coroner's officials are still performing an autopsy to determine the cause of death.
- Sea Lions may be cute and fun to photograph, but they are not fun to live with, say the residents of Newport Beach harbor.
- Men's Central Jail was locked down yesterday afternoon when 20 or so inmates began to break sinks and light fires in their cells. Offending inmates were removed from the scene while others were confined to their cells.
- Since March, the northbound Atlantic Blvd. off-ramp in Long Beach has been closed for repairs. Caltrans announced today that they expect to open it tomorrow. Yay! (no link, via e-mail press release)
- William Bandy III, 60, is wanted by Fullerton Police for attempted molestation. He pulled alongside a mother and her 13-year-old daughter on Sunday and offered money for the girl's services. Sick...