Extra, Extra: We're Still #1
Our reporting is free for everyone, but it’s not free to make.
LAist only exists with reader support. If you're in a position to give, your donation powers our reporters and keeps us independent.
- Yeah, traffic may have gotten better due to gas prices scaring people from the streets, but California is still #1 in congestion. Congrats to another year at the top!
- A suspected drunken driver in San Diego was pulled from his car and beaten after he struck and killed a pedestrian. Police are still investigating and have not released the DWI-er's name.
- The LA Times may be thinner these days, but staff cuts are not as bad as originally planned.
- An Anaheim couple has been arrested on 62 felony accounts associated with torturing their children. The children, ages 15 and 11, have seen abuses consisting of having their hands and feet tied together overnight.
- When you're not reading LAist, you're most likely at the local library checking out many books. So what do you think about LA's new 2 week checkout policy? The Snark is up in arms!
- In the third death verdict in OC this year, Steve Carl Evans was sentenced to death for the murder of 24-year-old Jeannette Elias in 2003. Elias was sexually assaulted and stabbed 22 times.
- A new bill in front of Congress will ban the killing of US horses for food. Opposition says this will increase other forms of cruelty such as abandonment and neglect.
- An El Al flight from Tel Aviv had to make an emergency landing at LAX this morning for a possible blown nose wheel. There were no injuries reported and thankfully this ended relatively uneventful.