This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: Hate Potholes?
Photo in Downtown LA by Robbie via the LAist Featured Photos pool on Flickr
- Steve “Road Sage” Hymon is taking over the LA Times ever popular Bottleneck Blog and as one of his first orders of business, he’s looking for nominees for “Pothole of the Week.”
- Tina, a 7-foot-long 100 pound American alligator just celebrated her 10th year as the most unusual resident of the Pasadena Humane Society. The Society picked up her in 1998 when Tina was homeless in what was supposed to be a temporary arrangement. But the mellow creature soon fell into the hearts of employees and visitors and now calls her 150 sq. foot enclosure home - right next to the Chihuahuas and Terriers.
- George Takei (Mr. Sulu from Star Trek) is finally marrying his longtime boo, Brad, and the whole Enterprise crew was invited to share in the festivities. Oh, everyone except Shatner.
- In what could be a misplacement of a pink teddy bear – Kurt Cobain’s ashes were (apparently) stolen from Courtney Love’s Los Angeles home recently. No Keith Richards jokes!
- A writer at Metblogs is speculating that San Francisco 49ers may come to LA. That is, if a few plans fall through first.
- The Summer concert series is back at the Santa Monica Pier! Opening night on June 26th will feature The Bonedaddys and Crown City Rockers and the summer will close out on August 21st with a performance from Toots & the Maytals. All other performers can be found temporarily under "What's Happening" on the SM Pier site, but will soon be available at the Twilight Dance Series homepage.
- A Pacoima carjacker got ironically jacked and held for Police by a few citizens after crashing a stolen GMC Sierra into a few parked cars and a mail truck, injuing one. No word on if charges would be pressed against the mob who beat the carjacker.
- A former X Games skateboarder, Brian Keith Patch, will be arrained tomorrow for having sex with a 15-year-old girl. The girl, who is also a skateboarder, ran away from her home last month and was staying with Brian when the incident occurred. Seems like Brian's former Guinness world record for longest air on a skateboard will be slightly overshadowed now...
Cruise off the highway and hit locally-known spots for some tasty bites.
Fentanyl and other drugs fuel record deaths among people experiencing homelessness in L.A. County. From 2019 to 2021, deaths jumped 70% to more than 2,200 in a single year.
This fungi isn’t a “fun guy.” Here’s what to do if you spot or suspect mold in your home.
Donald Trump was a fading TV presence when the WGA strike put a dent in network schedules.
Edward Bronstein died in March 2020 while officers were forcibly taking a blood sample after his detention.
A hike can be a beautiful backdrop as you build your connection with someone.