This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra Extra: Happy First Day of Spring!
Junot Diaz in conversation with Mona Simpson at the Hammer Museum. Photo by Osmany Rodriguez for LAist
- There's some crazy footage over at sister site SFist of a war protest that took place on Market Street yesterday. The site's commenters are NOT fans of protest group Code Pink.
- Breaking news over at the LA Times: former University of Texas chancellor Mark Yudof is being named the new UC president.
- Police are now offering a $50,000 reward for anybody who can offer information about a North Hollywood car-to-car shooting earlier this month.
- A big rig flipped over on the 14 freeway early this morning, spilling concrete and shutting down all lanes.
- What a nightmare: a woman was shot while on the phone with 911, reporting a burglary in her own home. The operator heard gunshots and then the line went dead.
- Street closures are beginning tonight in Boyle Heights as Metro begins to expand the Gold Line. Construction tonight is "affecting a six-block stretch of First Street between Anderson Street and Boyle Avenue."
- Every night before I go to bed, I predict an earthquake. One of these days, I'm gonna be right, and it's gonna be awesome. But in the meantime, here's some small change: a 3.0 hit Loma Linda, east of LA, late last night.
- Best Blog Ever Alert: Ryan Adams has a Tumblr account. Wow. Wow. Just...wow.