This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra Extra: I'm Sorry, Dave, I'm Afraid I Can't Do That
- Best known for his authoring of "2001: A Space Odyssey," sci-fi writer Arthur C. Clarke has died at 90 in Sri Lanka.
- This just in from the LA Times's Soundboard blog...Prince has been added to the Coachella roster! Nice!
- Obama had a huge campaign moment this morning, perhaps the biggest yet: he confronted the race issue in a stirring speech after his pastor's anti-American sermons went spaz all over the internet.
- More sad obit news: Oscar-winning director Anthony Minghella of "The English Patient," "The Talented Mr. Ripley" and "Cold Mountain" fame died at the age of 54 today in London due to a hemorrhage following surgery.
- Good news for Ventura County commuters! Highway 23 between Moorpark and Thousand Oaks has been finished, shaving off 15 to 20 minutes of drive time one-way
- After last week's random freeway shooting death of a woman, and despite a public outcry for cameras on freeways, the verdict is "only a test project has been completed and officials have yet to pursue funding for the program."
- Former LA Times rock critic Robert Hilburn has signed a deal to release a memoir of his many adventures in rock n' roll. Slavish praise of Bruce Springsteen's entire oeuvre will no doubt make up the bulk of the work.
- Bad headline for the mouse: Disney bus bursts into flames in Cerritos. But good news for Disney: they're opening up a new interactive ride based on Toy Story!
Zach Behrens also contributed to this report.