Extra, Extra: In Memoriam, Randal Simmons, SWAT
LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today during our fall member drive.
- The LA Times has the latest and more details on the deadly stand-off in the Valley that left one SWAT team member, Randal Simmons, and four others dead.
- Okay, this is just terribly, terribly, terribly wrong: why is the city cracking down so hard on street vendors who sell bacon wrapped hot dogs?
- Police continue to search for three kidnappers who abducted and robbed a Pierce College student -- the search backed up traffic in Woodland Hills yesterday.
- Eva Mendes has checked in...and now Kirsten Dunst is in rehab at the Cirque Lodge in Utah: "'She desperately needed help,' a source in Utah tells Star. 'She seemed to be intoxicated when she checked in because she was acting really erratic. She was extremely emotional, constantly breaking down in tears.'"
- It was an accidental overdose on some very dangerous prescription meds that killed Heath Ledger, and the DEA is looking into how Ledger got his hands on so many pills. Don't do Oxycontin, kids. Seriously. No jokes here today.
- More celeb news (it's a slow news day, I'm sorry) -- Dr. McSteamy of "Grey's Anatomy" fame, Eric Dane, has skin cancer. Wear sunscreen, kids. Seriously. Now we're getting pretty depressed.
- EaterLA totes hates Yelp. Uh, we wonder why.
- Is Thai Town Express being shuttered??? Now what are they gonna do with that damn hot dog?