Extra Extra: Who Wants a Hot Date on Valentine's Day???
LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.
- News on Heath Ledger's untimely and tragic death is still developing. Keep checking our sister site Gothamist for updates.
- OMG, girls, have you heard? Caroline on Crack is holding the best contest evarrrrr over at her site -- head over now for your chance to win a date with one of L.A.'s most eligible bachelors, Andy Sternberg, our very own News Editor! I can say with utmost confidence that he is totally not a douchebag. Ladies, if you're mean to him, I will cut you. CUT YOU.
- The Valencia campus of Cal Arts is helping to open a center and library devoted to studying issues of genocide in Rwanda: "The center, which currently operates online, plans to open an office and library in Kigali in July. It would be dedicated to providing information about an ugly subject: The 1994 Rwanda genocide in which an estimated 800,000 people were killed."
- What was to blame for those plane crashes in Corona this weekend? Officials now suspect that most elusive of criminals: the sun.
- Remember that crazy-ass Ferrari crash on PCH a few years ago? Well, the Swedish guy who was driving the car has been deported. He is claiming that he is leaving the country voluntarily.
- Nine passengers, including several children and the driver, were injured in a Palmdale school bus crash this morning. An SUV had run a red light and crashed into the bus.
- Omgzzzz you guys, rain!!! The National Weather Service is reporting: "'A cold upper level low-pressure system currently centered off the coast of San Francisco will remain nearly stationary through Wednesday, bringing a moist southwest flow pattern to Southwest California'...The precipitation should intensify Wednesday when the system's frontal band 'will likely bring a six-hour period of moderate to locally heavy rainfall' to Ventura and Los Angeles counties."
- Steve Aoki put out a record today. Are you yawning or celebrating? Or killing yourself? Oooooooh bad joke. I'm so immature.