This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra Extra: Who Wants a Hot Date on Valentine's Day???
- News on Heath Ledger's untimely and tragic death is still developing. Keep checking our sister site Gothamist for updates.
- OMG, girls, have you heard? Caroline on Crack is holding the best contest evarrrrr over at her site -- head over now for your chance to win a date with one of L.A.'s most eligible bachelors, Andy Sternberg, our very own News Editor! I can say with utmost confidence that he is totally not a douchebag. Ladies, if you're mean to him, I will cut you. CUT YOU.
- The Valencia campus of Cal Arts is helping to open a center and library devoted to studying issues of genocide in Rwanda: "The center, which currently operates online, plans to open an office and library in Kigali in July. It would be dedicated to providing information about an ugly subject: The 1994 Rwanda genocide in which an estimated 800,000 people were killed."
- What was to blame for those plane crashes in Corona this weekend? Officials now suspect that most elusive of criminals: the sun.
- Remember that crazy-ass Ferrari crash on PCH a few years ago? Well, the Swedish guy who was driving the car has been deported. He is claiming that he is leaving the country voluntarily.
- Nine passengers, including several children and the driver, were injured in a Palmdale school bus crash this morning. An SUV had run a red light and crashed into the bus.
- Omgzzzz you guys, rain!!! The National Weather Service is reporting: "'A cold upper level low-pressure system currently centered off the coast of San Francisco will remain nearly stationary through Wednesday, bringing a moist southwest flow pattern to Southwest California'...The precipitation should intensify Wednesday when the system's frontal band 'will likely bring a six-hour period of moderate to locally heavy rainfall' to Ventura and Los Angeles counties."
- Steve Aoki put out a record today. Are you yawning or celebrating? Or killing yourself? Oooooooh bad joke. I'm so immature.