Extra, Extra: The Church That Prays Together, Opposes Together
- So, looking forward to the Golden Globes tomorrow night? If you like lists being read aloud (and, really, who doesn't?) then NBC has a show for you. But, wait, there's more! Since the news conference announcing the winners will take one hour, NBC is filling the other two hours originally scheduled for the Globes with a "Dateline" special, including interviews to be conducted by Matt Lauer with some actors that are up for some awards.
- Who says Angelenos don't care about proposition politics? Seventy-four of you had your say and, with 50% of the vote, Proposition 92 was voted down. 43% said yes on 92 and 7% voted to say they don't give a shit. The Feb. 5 Primary is just 23 days away. Still time to give a crap.
- But you might give a crap about Hillary Clinton. The Democratic hopeful was in Commerce yesterday where she was proposed to and called for Congress to pass an economic stimulus package that could cost as much as $110 billion to help low-income families keep their homes, to subsidize heating costs this winter and perhaps refund some taxes. It was Clinton's first trip in Southern California in more than a month. Oh, and Hillary ate some tacos with Mayor Tony. How many different ways can you say, 'Vote for me' in Spanish?
- Barack Obama will be in Pacific Palisades for a private fund raiser Wednesday and robo-calls are sure to come soon.
- As of this week, 3,915 Americans and about 151,000 Iraqi civilians have been killed in Iraq. At St. John's Cathedral in Los Angeles, parishioners pray for both American and Iraqi casualties - Americans with crimson crosses and Iraqis with gold stars.
- Thousands of DWP customers in Hollywood lost power today after a fire triggered a power outage. No one was hurt and all but 300 people have their electricity back, just in time to see The Patriots wipe the floor with the Jaguars.
- There are just 32 days left until pitchers and catchers report for Spring Training but Ken Gurnick, of mlb.com reports that the Dodgers are getting a jump on the early training session. It's like Benjamin Franklin used to say: The team that practices early is sure to win the World Series in 2008.
- In a controversial move, The San Diego Minutemen have adopted a highway on the I-5 in San Diego. Who are The Minutemen? You might remember them from such movies as I'll Hurt You Bad You if You're An Illegal" and "I Will Shoot You In the Face If You Climb That Fence." Critics contend that the California Department of Transportation ignored its own rule that bars groups that advocate violence or discrimination from participating in the program. As if everyone didn't already know, The Minutemen hate trash, whether it be from Mexico or McDonald's.
- The 405 southbound connectors to the east- and westbound 101 will be closed Sunday, from 6 a.m. to 11 a.m. for maintenance work. The 405 southbound Burbank Boulevard on-ramp and westbound 101 Haskell Avenue off-ramp will also be closed. Prepare accordingly for that early morning Galleria run.
Photo of an anti-war demonstration in Studio City by by Jeremy Oberstein