Extra Extra: Gladiators, We Salute You
Stories like these are only possible with your help!
You have the power to keep local news strong for the coming months. Your financial support today keeps our reporters ready to meet the needs of our city. Thank you for investing in your community.
- Dear Tony Pierce, can you please tell your new employers at the LA Times to fix their streaming American Express advertising pop-up so that it does not crash my brand-new computer every five minutes? Thank you, signed, LAist.com.
- When we are not struggling to cope with adverse side-effects of inexorable technological progress, we are keeping track of the striking writers' negotiations with venture capitalists to begin producing Internet programming. Baby needs a new pair of shoes!
- First it was the "Carrie Curse," now it's the "Jessica Jinx" -- is Jessica Simpson jinxing Tony Romo's performance with the Dallas Cowboys?
- In today's edition of "you have got to be fucking kidding me," LAX ranks third for amongst airports nationwide in Healthiest Airport Food, according to the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine.
- Jay Leno & Conan O'Brien are returning to late night after the New Year, even if the strikes have not ended: the shows will go on unscripted. This could be awesome or it could be a trainwreck. Or both!
- USC is getting a new offer on a lease for Coliseum: "The offer includes a compromise on the key issue -- control of the stadium -- the Daily News reported. The commission is seeking to form a partnership with USC in selling naming rights to the stadium that would pay for much of its renovation
- KCET is taking Life & Times off the air?? "Yes, it's true. After 16 years on the air L&T is coming to a close. We have been wanting to revamp and renew the series for a while. A short hiatus will allow us to be back in the spring with a new weekly series."
- Long before lofts, Nokia Live, and fancy art enclaves, there was the punk music: the Downtown News examines the 80's punk scene that once thrived in downtown L.A.
- LAist contributor Tim Hammer will be interviewed on NPR's Bryant Park Project tomorrow morning regarding his experience with the new American Gladiator television series.
- More good news for the Ist Family: LAist contributor Ben Kharakh is nominated for an ECNY award in the field of comedy news and commentary. Vote for him at ecnyawards.com to show your support!