Extra Extra: Bottom Dropping, People Dying, and Apparently I'm Old.
Stories like these are only possible with your help!
You have the power to keep local news strong for the coming months. Your financial support today keeps our reporters ready to meet the needs of our city. Thank you for investing in your community.
- We heart our sister -Ists: today, SFist Editor Bock Keeling was profiled in the SF Weekly. We find out that Gus Van Sant hates SFist and a funny picture of a woman modeling in front of an oil spill crew is now being featured on the site.
- Pro football player Sean Taylor has died from injuries sustained in a mysterious and tragic shooting incident; he was 24 years old. Police are still searching for a suspect and a motive.
- More details in the LA Times on the mayor's traffic plan for Pico & Olympic: it's all "part of an attempt by the city to more efficiently get people to jobs on the congested Westside in the morning and help them get out in the afternoon. City officials say travel time could be cut by as much as 45%."
- Why do I feel like I keep reading the same article over and over again? Are house prices dropping? Are they not? Does the bubble even exist? What's going on! Okay, phew: home prices dropped 7% this year in LA and OC counties.
- A brawl outside a Stevenson Ranch condo complex turned deadly, leaving one dead this weekend: officials say the incident "involved regular kids who screwed up pretty bad one night."
- More winds could come howling down the canyons tonight, and what with the low humidity expected -- yeah, yeah, fire, blaze, apocalypse, woo!
- The LA Times has brought their Readers' Representative Office online, with the intent of "help[ing] readers understand the thinking behind what appears in The Times; and to provide insight for the newsroom into how readers respond to their reporting." We've got something like that here at LAist, too. It's called "Tony tells people who disagree with us to fuck off."
- Yeah, you probably got the alert too: MySpace to start "news feeds," just like Facebook. Do the cool kids still use MySpace? Does it suck still? What's going on with that? I feel old. I have to lie down.
- Maybe I'll plunk myself down on this nice seat at the back of the bus. Rosa Parks day? Saturday has been declared Rosa Parks Human Rights Day.