Extra Extra: Turkey Day Does Funny Things To People
- Most insane picture and story of the day:a cruise ship strikes submerged ice in the Antarctic and begins to sink, 154 passengers escape to safety.
- I guess the holidays just really stress some people out: "a 27-year-old man turned himself in to police early this morning after allegedly shooting his brother-in-law to death following a Thanksgiving celebration." Christ, did somebody burn the turkey?
- And the long lines waiting for Black Friday deals weren't helping everybody's mood: people in line at a store in Northridge promised to erupt into some sort of scuffle early in the morning hours. But then everybody calmed down. Tryptophan!
- 10% of all American shopping purchases are said to occur over Thanksgiving weekend. Funny, cause I think I ate around 10% of all my calories for the year yesterday.
- Great works of art are slowly disappearing from the Getty Villa, as they are shipped back to their rightful home: Sharon Waxman blogs about some employees who miss seeing their exquitely crafted friends every day.
- Our national Immigration Services have been receiving more than double the usual amount of citizenship applications this year. The agency is struggling to keep up with the paperwork.
- Joe Francis is whining about ill treatment received at the hands of Oklahoman jail guards: they "denied Joe Francis food and blankets and threatened to strap him naked to a chair for 48 hours." And then filmed it and sold it on late-night television!!! No, not really that last part.
- My god, people, what is it with the PUPPY THEFTS??? Who are these cruel people and why do they have a predilection for a certain La Mirada pet store?
"Garen in the Underworld," image (c) Mitchell Maher exclusive to LAist.