Extra, Extra: 3,860
Stories like these are only possible with your help!
You have the power to keep local news strong for the coming months. Your financial support today keeps our reporters ready to meet the needs of our city. Thank you for investing in your community.
- It's Veterans Day, and, to commemorate, let's check in on Iraq and see how some Veterans-to-be are doing. Turns out, things weren't so festive today there. A civil war continues to rage and officials announced that, with the 853rd death this past week, 2007 is now the deadliest year yet for American troops in the ongoing Middle East quagmire, surpassing 2004's total of 850.
- So far, 3,860 U.S. soldiers and 4,164 coalition troops from around the world have died. At a certain point it might be too much for this administration, a reasonable person might think. But Vice President Dick Cheney, who laid a wreath at the tomb of unknown soldiers to mark Veterans Day, still thinks we will prevail. How many deaths will it take, Mr. Cheney?
- Other veterans, especially those from World War II, are taking this opportunity to tell their stories. With every passing year, the aging warriors' tales become more important.
- In other news, Kanye West's mother died today in Los Angeles. Donde West, a retired English professor in Chicago, later managed a non-profit in her son's name to help inner-city kids to stay in school. The inspiration behind the classic "Hey Mama" was 58.
- In Murietta, three people-age 16, 17 and 18- used a taser gun on a man during a botched robbery at an ATM Sunday. I blame Dick Cheney.
- Wondering about the origins of this sites mother ship, Gothmaist.com? Co-founder and editor of Gothamist, Jen Chung, gets her brain picked by brandchannel.com.
- As the writers end their first week of striking, some are upset with Ellen Degeneres for continuing her day time talk show. She ditched the monologue to support writers and, as a member of AFTRA is bound by a no-strike clause. You're damned if you do and, hell, speaking of damn...Jay Leno is also taking heat, but because he isn't working. He could be replaced by another "funny" man, the LA Times said.
- Speaking of the strike, Metroblogging tells you the top five ways to take advantage of the strike, including "sending out that feature script of yours ASAP." Oh, but they don't advocate scabbing.
- For fans of Lost, co-creator Damon Lindelof has some sobering news: "I am willing to hold firm for considerably longer than three months," he said in an editorial this morning. Damn, I guess we won't be finding out if Ben is truly evil for a long time.
- For those who have a day off tomorrow, you might want to consider having lunch at the Encounter Restaurant. Yes, that Encounter Restaurant. The iconic, spacey LAX landmark was closed earlier this year after 1,000 pounds of stucco fell from the roof and it is due to reopen Monday.
Photo by shazammy via the LAist Featured Photos pool on Flickr