Sponsored message
Logged in as
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.

News

Governor Brown Pledges $176 Million To Cleanup Of Lead From Exide Plant

One year ago, Congress defunded public media. Now that we're 100% community funded, please become a sustaining member or increase your existing membership today.

Governor Jerry Brown has announced a $176 million plan to clean up lead contamination from the Exide battery recycling plant in Vernon.

Brown made the announcement on Tuesday, proposing to inject more funding into the ongoing cleanup and testing in the neighborhood surrounding the Exide Technologies plant. According to a release from the governor's office, the funding "will ensure all residential properties, schools, daycare centers and parks within the 1.7 mile radius of the Exide Technologies facility are tested and contaminated soil removed where lead levels are the highest and potential exposure the greatest."

"With this funding plan, we’re opening a new chapter that will help protect the community and hold Exide responsible," said Governor Brown in the statement.

Brown previously pledged only $8.5 million into the cleanup, reports the L.A. Times, fueling criticism that the state had been too slow to respond to the environmental crisis.

The Exide plant opened in 1922 and was finally shut down in March of 2015 after cutting a deal with federal prosecutors that the company would cover the cost of the cleanup. The factory previously melted the lead from used car batteries to recycle them for new ones. The governor's proposal says they will hold Exide and "other potential responsible parties" accountable for the costs.

According to the Times, up to 10,000 homes are estimated to be contaminated with lead from the plant's fallout.

One year ago, Congress voted to defund public media, eliminating a critical $1.7 million from our budget every year going forward. But they couldn’t silence us, and we’re not going anywhere. LAist is now 100% community funded and that means we’re taking our future into our own hands and turning to you to keep local reporting strong.

You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our nonprofit newsroom doesn’t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead, we answer to you and our communities. We are free to follow facts wherever they lead and to hold power to account without fear or favor. Our only loyalty is to our readers and listeners and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen Southern California’s communities.

If this story helped you, please become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today