Weekend of Horrors
We here at LAist are strong advocates of Halloween, and have provided the list below in an effort to help all of our readers enjoy this fine holiday as thoroughly as possible. Even if you don't get out there in full costume and party like Bela Lugosi, we hope you enjoy some of the following:
• Pretty Girls Make Graves, Bullet Train to Vegas and Razrez are on tonight at the Troubadour. Doors open at 8 PM. Tickets are $12 advance.
• Jens Lekman, Richard Swift and Nedelle perform tonight at Spaceland. Doors open at 9 PM.
• Dengue Fever are all by their lonesome tonight at The Echo. Doors are at 8:30 PM; tickets are $8. [18+]
• Peter Murphy is here to scare up a Halloween mood: Bauhaus performs all weekend at The Wiltern. The show starts at 9 PM; tickets are $38.50-48.50.
• All this (long) weekend, the Haunted Echo Chamber will be open from 6–11 PM at The Echo. Admission is free and it is open to kids of all ages.
• The Not a Cornfield project hosts a special program titled "The Story of Corn" from 7:30–10:30 PM tonight. Author Betty Fussell will be on hand to discuss the history, science and politics of corn as the five-week harvest of the Not a Cornfield crop starts.
• Donald Sutherland will be on hand for a discussion following the sneak preview of Pride and Prejudice, starring Sutherland and Kiera Knightly, tonight at the Aero. The film begins at 7:30 PM.
• A special one-week engagement of How the West Was Won in 3-strip Cinerama format begins today at the ArcLight.
• REDCAT hosts day one of the experimental writing conference noulipo today, celebrating the Workshop of Potential Literature with speakers Caroline Bergvall, Christian Bök, Johanna Drucker, Paul Fournel, Tan Lin, Bernadette Mayer, Ian Monk, Harryette Mullen, Douglas Nufer, Vanessa Place, Janet Sarbanes, Juliana Spahr, Brian Kim Stefans, Rodrigo Toscano and Rob Wittig. The conference runs through Saturday.
• Enjoy a New Beverly pre-Halloween Jodorowsky/Pasolini double feature of Santa Sangre at 7:45 PM, followed by Salo, or The 120 Days of Sodom at 10 PM.
• Head to Dragonfly for Miss Kitty's Halloweekend, starting at 9 PM. We would recommend gearing up with lots of leather, and bring $20 to get in.