Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.


Suspects In Bryan Stow Beating At Dodgers Stadium Plead Guilty

(Right to left) Marvin Norwood, his attorney Victor Escobedo and co-defendant Louie Sanchez listen during preliminary proceedings in Superior Court June 8, 2012 (Photo by Irfan Khan-Pool/Getty Images)
Before you
Dear reader, we're asking you to help us keep local news available for all. Your financial support keeps our stories free to read, instead of hidden behind paywalls. We believe when reliable local reporting is widely available, the entire community benefits. Thank you for investing in your neighborhood.

Two men charged with the brutal beating of a Giants fan at Dodgers Stadium that left him with permanent brain damage pleaded guilty in court this morning.

Louie Sanchez, 31, and Marvin Norwood, 32, were charged with mayhem and assault, according to KTLA. Sanchez received an eight-year prison sentence and Norwood four years in state prison.

They were involved with the beating of Bryan Stow, a 45-year-old Bay Area paramedic and father of two, who attended Opening Day between the San Francisco Giants and Dodgers on March 31, 2011. Stow and his two friends who were wearing Giants gear were walking through the parking lot after the game and witnesses said that Sanchez's drunken behavior led the charge in heckling the Giants fans, according to the L.A. Times. Stow said that he hoped they "code" which is a paramedic term for cardiac arrest.

Witnesses said Sanchez said to Stow, "What the [expletive] did you say, homie?" and shoved him, reported KPCC. Sanchez later came back and fiercely punched Stow in the head, knocking the paramedic unconscious and having his head hit the pavement. Others saw Norwood kick Stow while he was on the ground.

Support for LAist comes from

The preliminary trial for Sanchez and Norwood started in June 2012 and the two originally pleaded not guilty in the court case. In court today, the judge criticized the two for their reckless behavior and KTLA reported that Sanchez smiled about one of his comments.

"You show no remorse whatsoever," the judge said. “You are the biggest nightmare for individuals that attend public events.” “It was only a game,” he added. "You lost perspective, and that’s unfortunate."

Stow's family wrote a post on Feb. 14 on with the latest update on his condition:
We recently shaved Bryan’s head and it was shocking to see the damage to his skull. Seeing him stare at himself in the mirror was heartbreaking. Watching him touch the shunt that protrudes on the right side of his skull, the slightly sunken in left side and all the deep scars was heartbreaking.