This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
So you wanna be a rocknroll star
Somebody once said that all rock stars want to be actors and all actors want to be rock stars. And everyone responded: Why? For God's sake, why?
This is not to cast aspersions on CSI star Gary Dourdan, who will be playing guitar tonight at the Knitting Factory as part of a Katrina victims benefit. Maybe he'll be one of those who, with the power of celebrity, are (kinda) successful at both: Lindsay Lohan, Jennifer Lopez.
Then there are the rest, the actors who decide, for better or worse, they must rock.
1. Juliette Lewis, who we loved in Kalifornia and Natural Born Killers, has been touring Europe and brings her trashy rock to the Anaheim House of Blues next week.
2. After starring in the fictional film Prey for Rock and Roll,Gina Gershon did a documentary tv series for IFC about her rock band on tour, called, perhaps unsuccessfully, "Rocked with Gina Gershon."
3. Jason Schwartzman (Rushmore, I Heart Huckabees) was the drummer in Phantom Planet -- no longer, though
4. Tina Yothers, the little girl from Family Ties, had a band called Jaded
5. Robbie Rist, Cousin Oliver from the Brady Bunch, plays a bunch of instruments with a bunch of bands around LA.
We know there are tons more than this. Help us play the actors-as-musicians party game!
But Yeoh is the first to publicly identify as Asian. We take a look at Oberon's complicated path in Hollywood.
His latest solo exhibition is titled “Flutterluster,” showing at Los Angeles gallery Matter Studio. It features large works that incorporate what Huss describes as a “fluttering line” that he’s been playing with ever since he was a child — going on 50 years.
It's set to open by mid-to-late February.
The new Orange County Museum of Art opens its doors to the public on Oct. 8.
Comic-Con Is Live And In-Person Again And Yes, That Means Cosplayers Are Back. Why They're So ExcitedCosplayers will be holding court once again and taking photos with onlookers at the con.
Sacheen Littlefeather Talks About What Really Happened Before, During And After Rejecting Marlon Brando’s OscarLittlefeather recalls an “incensed” John Wayne having to be restrained from assaulting her and being threatened with arrest if she read the long speech Brando sent with her.