Scott Weiland's Death Caused By Overdose From Cocaine, Ecstasy & Alcohol
Medical examiners have determined that singer Scott Weiland died of an accidental overdose from a toxic mix of cocaine, ecstasy and alcohol. The former Stone Temple Pilots and Velvet Revolver frontman—known for having a long history of battling substance abuse—was found to have died of an accidental overdose on his tour bus earlier this month. The newly released report from the Hennepin County Medical Examiner's Office in Minneapolis, also noted that the 48-year-old Weiland had a history of asthma, cardiovascular disease and multi-substance dependence, according to the Associated Press.
Weiland had been on tour with his current band, Scott Weiland & the Wildabouts, in Bloomington, Minnesota, when he was found dead on the tour bus. The band was scheduled to play nearby Medina Ballroom, but the show had been cancelled. The day after his death, police said they found a small amount of cocaine in Weiland's bedroom and elsewhere on the tour bus. Wildabouts bassist Tommy Black was arrested for allegedly possessing cocaine at the time, but was released from jail a day later, according to Rolling Stone.
Following the news of Weiland's death, there was an outpouring of poignant letters dedicated to the singer, including one from his former Stone Temple Pilots bandmates, Velvet Revolver bandmates, and the Smashing Pumpkins' Billy Corgan. Mary Forsberg Weiland, the singer's ex-wife and mother of his two children, also wrote an opinion piece in Rolling Stone, asking fans not to glorify the tragedy of his death.