Scare Yourself Silly
There are plenty of ways to scare yourself silly this weekend in LA. If you're too old or wary for trick-or-treating, then why not head to the local cineplex? Here are five movies playing around town that range from frightening to fun.
- Doom - The Rock returns in this sci-fi/horror flick set in a futuristic Mars research facility. Predictably, the facility loses communication and is quarantined. The Marines discover the source of the trouble: the researchers opened a portal to hell. Rock and company battle with a slew of otherworldly demons and denizens. [ trailer | local showtimes ]
- Saw II - The sadistic serial killer "Jigsaw" is back. This time he makes eight victims play a sort of "reality" game to see who, if anyone, survives. The tagline is "oh yes, there will be blood." Consider yourselves warned. Surprisingly, squeaky-clean Beverly Mitchell makes an appearance in this flick, along with Tobin Bell, Franky G and Shawnee Smith. [ trailer | local showtimes ]
- The Fog - Tom Welling, Maggie Grace and Selma Blair star in a remake of John Carpenter's classic movie. Century-old ghosts roll in with a creepy layer of fog, wreaking havoc on the local Northern California town. [ trailer | local showtimes ]
- Undead - In this B-movie, a meteor-shower unleashes an mysterious plague that turns people in a quiet Australian town into killer, flesh-eating zombies. Felicity Mason and Mungo McKay lead the cast. [ trailer | local showtimes ]
- Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit - Perhaps the one sure-bet of this list, the ever-charming Wallace & Gromit serve up some family-friendly spooks for trick-or-treaters of all ages. With mere days before the Giant Vegetable Competition, the duo have been commissioned to run a humane pest control company to protect their town's vegetables from rabbits. Things get crazy when a mysterious beast thwarts their efforts. Voices are provided by Peter Sallis, Ralph Fiennes, Helena Bonham-Carter, Peter Kay and Nicolas Smith. [ trailer | local showtimes ]